October 1, 2010

Attention to Detail

It has been said that luck is when preparation meets opportunity. In the world of an outdoorsman, preparation is what separates the avid from the weekend warrior.  Being a bow hunter, I can tell you that preparation is a year-long process that peaks right about now. Whether it is hunting or fishing, our time of thought and preparation is what jacks us up and keeps us awake at night. We just get excited at the opportunity to cast at a cobia or call to a Canada.

When it comes to any excursion, I will analyze every part of my equipment and the conditions in preparation for a successful outcome. If you are like me, you don’t miss too many details. I may be able to barely recall what I did yesterday, but I can tell you that 42 degrees is the ideal water temperature when eeling for stripers in the Chesapeake Bay. I can tell you that my peep sight is precisely 5 ¼” from the nock on my PSE Scorpion. Years of preparation and attention to detail have left me with tons of information; some useful, and some, well not so much.

My passion and attention to detail for 'all things outdoors' often causes me to reflect on my relationship with Christ. Do I prepare myself in the same way to spend time in the Word? I am often reminded that I need to be sure I have that same fervor in preparation to answer difficult questions from a lost friend or provide wisdom from His word during a difficult time. I would like to encourage you to approach your quiet time with the same passion. How you connect with God is between you and Him, but Paul does encourage us to be strong in the Lord. Ephesians 6:14 says “Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace”. Paul urges us to read and know His word, be prepared to defend His word, and to conduct yourself in a way that is honorable to our Creator and Lord. - GE

No comments:

Post a Comment