October 22, 2009

Winded

I have been spending as much time as possible in a tree this month with the onset of Virginia's Archery Deer season. And as with most bow hunters, I am very conscious of controlling my scent. Actually, I am down-right meticulous in an effort to keep from spooking deer, from bathing with unscented soap, to washing my hunting outfits in scent killing detergent and storing them separate from my regular clothes. Even more, I rarely ever hunt an area unless the wind is in my favor. Nevertheless, on two different hunts this week I have been winded by deer near my stand. The only thing I can figure is that these deer were tipped off by the smell of breath passing through my mouth. Even though I brush my teeth before entering the woods to hunt, this still seems to be my weakest link. Many deer hunting experts agree that a large percentage of scent emitted by hunters is from their head and mouth. 

Breath is not the only thing coming out of the mouth that can carry an odor. Matthew 15:11 states that what comes out of a man's mouth is what makes him unclean. Plainly, our words are quick to reveal the condition of our hearts. James Chapter 3 goes on to say that our tongue is "a restless evil, it is full of deadly poison" and "from the same mouth comes blessing and cursing." James is emphatic in saying, "it should not be like this, my brothers!"

Have you been winded by those around you lately? Have sour or destructive words tainted your character? Let's aim to build others up with our words, just as Christ demonstrated for us. - GE

No comments:

Post a Comment