March 24, 2013

The Road Not Often Taken

I'm driving to work one morning this past week in yet another one of our region's recent snow bursts. As has become habit to this die-hard sportsmen, I am checking out all the fields and waterways that I pass for various types of wildlife. Well, I approach one particular wheat field that is often frequented during Spring by a large flock of turkeys, and I am thinking, they certainly are not going to be out in this weather. Surprisingly, in the back of the field, I see the boss gobbler in full strut amongst the large flock of hens and jakes. There he is in all his glory, un-phased by the adverse conditions around him. He's one of God's creatures, doing what he was made to do, just simply living out his God-given purpose.
 

Philippians 3:12-16 (The Message)
I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back. So let’s keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you’ll see it yet! Now that we’re on the right track, let’s stay on it.


This gobbler's demeanor really got me thinking. He wasn't making excuses that morning, didn't stay on the roost in protest, didn't hide down in the woods, and didn't mope around the field by himself. In fact, he lives out in that environment day and night, and I'm certain he has learned to thrive in all types of conditions. In fact, I feel pretty certain that the only thing that gobbler knows is living the life that God designed for him. In contrast, how often it is that I come up with a myriad of excuses why I 'cannot' chase after the full purpose and calling that God has on my life. Responsibilities, finances, health, personal desires, even just being too comfortable and content - any of those hit home with you like they do for me? I call Him Lord, but am I letting Him lead me like He is my Lord? It's easy for us to fall into a lifestyle and mindset of just surviving and not really get deeper than surface level in our life's journey. But just as Paul was instructing the church in Philippi, God has an unimaginable adventure waiting for those who commit to laying down their lives to run after Him and His purposes.

I ask you, are you living out your God-given purpose? What are the 'adverse' conditions around you keeping you from going after it? Do you even know what His purpose for your life is? Ask God to help you discover, break through, persevere, gain the courage, whatever you need to help you start chasing after all He has in store for you. And if you're on the right track, commit to staying on it. - GE

No comments:

Post a Comment