September 3, 2010

Salting up the 'yak

I got back late Wednesday night from a nice getaway to the Outer Banks. I decided to take my kayak along with me - oh yeah, I probably didn't mention in previous posts that I have jumped into the kayak fishing addiction with both feet (Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 for any kayak aficionados out there). Well, the weather was great, at least while we were there, and I was able to slip away to fish for a few hours nearly every day in the saltwater haven in and around Oregon Inlet. Even had my buddy Brent Bosher come down and join me on Tuesday and Wednesday. Most of the fishing was done on an outgoing tide, and we were able to catch a variety of species, including the highly sought-after red drum, speckled trout and flounder, as well as croaker, inshore lizardfish, sea robins, pinfish, and even a black grouper.

The entire family decided to leave Wednesday evening due to the ominous storm approaching, which turned out to be a good move based on yesterday morning's mandatory evacuation of the entire Outer Banks. It was an eery feeling taking the kayaks out of the water Wednesday evening at Oregon Inlet and being the last people in the place. All charter boats and their captains were gone, having moved their boats inland; it was a ghost town. It appears that the Outer Banks is receiving only a glancing blow from Earl - thank you Lord for your mercy and grace. Also, thank you Lord for revealing to me again your marvelous creation and your power during this past week.

"For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God." Romans 1:20 (NLT)

I definitely enjoyed my relaxing and recouping getaway, and feel that I am ready to tackle a new season filled with kindergarten, fall baseball, an Cool Spring Outdoor Ministry bible study, to mention a few 'news'! Hopefully there will be a little time in there to get back into the kayak with rod in hand. - GE

No comments:

Post a Comment