January 12, 2010

Something Fishy 'Bout This!

I got the opportunity to go fishing out of Virginia Beach earlier today for trophy rockfish. I suppose I should mention right up front that I was blessed to even be able to go, as I and the rest of my family had to endure the popular stomach bug last Thursday through the weekend. Well, despite temperatures in the 30s with a brisk northerly wind, along with 4-5 foot seas and occasional swells pushing 7 foot, we actually did have a lot of fun! Once we tracked down the gannets and baitfish, which can sometimes turn into the 'needle in a haystack' ordeal, we limited out on some very nice fish in a fairly short period of time, with a few at or above 30 pounds. Thanks be to God for keeping us safe, as well as keeping our stomachs intact!
And, thanks to Brent, Bert, Brian, Butch, Carl, Ross, and Capt. Woody for a great day!

"Master, we've worked hard.....and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets." When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break.....When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus' knees and said, "Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!" For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken.....Then Jesus said to Simon, ".....from now on you will catch men." So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him. Luke 5:5-11 (NIV).

Which makes me have to stop and think, do I "fish" for people as diligently or with as much enthusiasm and intensity as I did for those rockfish today? And when the Lord needs me to do such in a timely fashion, do I drop everything and follow Him? And am I truly astonished as a result of witnessing His power, knowledge, or providence? I'll be thinking a while. - GE

2 comments:

Greg English said...

What happen to my day? We had five hours of the coldest temps and no fish? What marina did you buy these fish from?

Anonymous said...

I don't sense a bit of competition in that comment.....

Post a Comment