October 26, 2009

Take 'Em

My buddy and I have access to a rather productive duck hole - in an undisclosed location - and we had the opportunity to hunt there during the early segment of this year's duck season. As we eased into our hole that morning, he mentioned that based on prior scouting these ducks were unpredictable, could come in from any direction at any time, and that we needed to stay alert and ready. Having a good view of the skyline in front of me, and being able to hear the sound of woodies whistling in the distance, I was relaxed and confident that I was ready for the moment of truth. This particular morning, however, the flock of twelve came in from behind us through the trees, dropped in right over our heads, and caught me off guard. Flustered, I was finally able to get off two shots as they weaved up and away through the trees, but came up with nothing. We had a few more in range that morning, but I had missed the best part in the blink of an eye.

Just like I thought I knew how things would play out in the marsh, many folks have a false hope in their eternal security. Confidence placed solely in things like childhood baptism or church attendance have "lulled many to sleep", only to have them caught off guard when the Lord decided it was their time. God does not reveal all of life's answers to us in our time, but He has given us enough information in the Bible to be adequately prepared for the future. Are you ready for the time when God says 'take 'em', and Christ drops in to get His children? - GE

No comments:

Post a Comment