October 22, 2013

Remaining Connected


photo courtesy of Hunter Safety System
Well, I've finally managed to get the saltwater out of my eyes long enough to transition over to chasing after the elusive whitetail. And as each archery season begins, I find myself going back through a process of remembering how to efficiently and quietly get all my gear where it needs to be while safely getting up the tree and into a ready hunting position. Part of this process has changed during the last couple of years as my buddy and I made a pact that we would transition to using full body safety harnesses. This season, we have gone a step further and will be incorporating the use of lifelines into our hang-on tree stand set-ups. Yes, these added measures make it a longer process to get up and down, and in some cases it seems as though the use of the safety harness and lifeline is overkill. But hear it first hand from a survivor of a fall from a tree stand when I tell you there is no good reason for hunters to not be connected to a fall restraint system from the time they leave the ground until they step back onto the ground. Recent statistics tell the tale - most falls, injuries and fatalities occur while ascending or descending rather than while sitting in the stand. And it is the times in which we are distracted or get caught off guard when these situations occur, but by then unfortunately, it is too late to install and utilize the safety restraints. As you may have began to surmise, the concept and purpose of the harness and lifeline is strikingly similar to that of Jesus' work in our lives. So, why continue to chance stepping out into this dangerous world one day longer without connecting to and remaining connected with our Protector? Why have adequate safety measures readily available to you but choose not to use them? - GE
 
I would be remiss if I tread any further on ground already plowed by my buddy Brodie Swisher in one of his recent Heartshots titled "Stayin' Connected" http://www.thrutheseason.com/2/post/2013/09/stayin-connected.html. Check it out and let him know how it spoke to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment