September 10, 2013

Power in Weakness

The epic white marlin bite continues - for at least a little while longer - off the Outer Banks. So when I received an invite to go back offshore this past Saturday, I could not pass it up. I did notice in my last minute preparations, however, that the marine forecast was sounding a little dicey for the first part of our run, especially for the area around Oregon Inlet and its immediate north. When we reached the Outer Banks Friday night, it didn't help to ease my concerns when we noticed the flags along the Route 12 Bypass were stretched out straight from the stiff Northeast wind off the ocean. The following morning, I checked the Fish Weather App on my phone to see the wind forecast one last time, and noticed that it was very likely going to be a bouncy ride out of the inlet and towards the fishing grounds. Needless to say, the unknown of what was soon to come in terms of the wind and the waves was very much on my mind as we left the marina. As we reached the Inlet, it was quickly evident that it was going to be a sporty departure! But instead of going below in the cabin, I chose to stay up on the bridge. We eventually made it out to the fishing grounds, and the bite was on right from the get-go. The conditions gradually improved throughout the day, and by the time we headed back in, the wind and the waves had laid down considerably. As somewhat of a surprise, I had endured some of the roughest conditions that I have experienced and made it through victoriously.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for Power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake, for when I am weak, then I am strong.

Although I have only experienced getting seasick one time, the fear of it is something that consumes my thoughts most every time an opportunity arises to fish the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. I have been fortunate in not having many rough trips over the years, but I have also turned down a few invites due to the fear of possibly getting sick. I often opt to fish the 'skinny water', as I can see land nearby and I feel as though I am much more in control in that environment. However, I believe that Saturday was a turning point for me. See, I could have stayed down below in the cabin, which was closer to the water's surface and would have been a bit calmer, but my only view would have been to the sides and back of the boat and solely on the conditions right around us. My mind would have been a cesspool of emotions and worries, and that would have likely been enough to put me over the edge. Instead, I stayed up on the bridge, even though I knew it would be rougher, so that I could carry on a conversation with the Captain and be able to focus up ahead of us and out on the horizon, where there was a beautiful sunrise painted by the Creator. The prayers and praise songs shared by the fleet on the radio served to calm my emotions even more, to the point I did not have even the slightest queasy sensation. Without realizing what was happening, the Power of Christ had helped me get past my weakness, my fear, my distress.

What weakness, insult, distress, persecution or difficulty is consuming and controlling you? Are you allowing yourself to be consumed by the conditions right around you? Are you so rattled by your fear that you avoid situations where you would have to face it so that you feel as though you are still in control? Or are you ready to relinquish control of your situation and put yourself in a place where your focus is up ahead? Know that Christ is right there, taking the lead, paving the way, ready to help you get through and past whatever is consuming or controlling you. Once I was broken and outside of my comfort zone and control, I was in a position to experience His Power. Won't you let Him do the same for you? - GE

No comments:

Post a Comment